Septimus Burton at Grove House
The life of the Burton family at Grove House in Chiswick in the 1830s and ’40s. The Auction Catalogue pf the contents of the House, sold in 1842 reveals details of its room sizes and furnishing, possessions including clocks and musical instruments and ‘a very Handsome Colossal Statue of George IV in his robes on a massive pedestal’
Carolyn & Peter Hammond
Two Brentford Mansions
An account of the life of the Brentford mansions known as Grove House (later Clifden House) and New Grove House, from their construction in the 18th century to the end of their lives in the second half of the 10th century, part of a suburb of big houses east of The Butts.
Rev Dale & the Glebe Estate 1870-1885
Careful and detailed research by two residents of this estate reveals its origins, its purpose, the pattern of development and who developed it and its early working class life, with excellent maps in full colour. This piece was runner up in the BALH Annual Award for Short Articles in 2021
Tracey Logan & Richard Szwagrzak
Mizpah Gilbert, Chiswick’s Librarian
An account of the career of the remarkable person who became Chiswick’s first woman Librarian in 1920, remembered ‘with affection and respect as a drago to work for but a librarian who helped forumlate their standards and enforced ther professional competence’
Where was London Stile?
The place name ‘London Stile’ on the road between Chiswick and Hounslow is no longer used today. Supported by research undertaken by Janet McNamara into Stile Hall mansion, the author tells the story of this hamlet through the 1660s plaque years via the introduction of a turnpike toll gate, the flourishing of the substantial farm on the north side of the road and the expansion of the showy mansion on the south side of the road.
History of Brentford Market
The construction and operation of a new wholesale market for the market gardeners of the area west of London and into the Home Counteis. Built in the early 1890s to replace an illegal and informal market at the north end of Kew Bridge, it was substantially extended until it outgrew its site. The market traders moved in 1974 to the new Western International Market along with the gothic fountain of 1877; the site became a development known as Capital Interchange Way alongside the Fountain Leisure Centre.
Remembering Shirley Seaton
A short account of Shirley’s life and work by someone who knew her well. A researcher for television documentaries who became a very committed local historian focussing especially on her beloved home patch of Stamford Brook.
Prof Francis Ames-Lewis