By Jon Cotton, West London Archaeological Field Group
Brentford & Chiswick Local History Journal 2 (1981)
The Museum of London’s Greater London Archaeology Department and the West London Archaeological Field Group have continued to monitor the archaeology of the London Boroughs of Ealing, Hillingdon and Hounslow during the past year. Much of our effort has been concentrated in West Drayton, where an excavation undertaken to locate the whereabouts of Sir William Paget’s Manor House (built 1546-49) was completed in November. Finds from the work are undergoing study at our headquarters at 273 High Street, Brentford.
We are currently engaged in up-dating our Sites and Monuments Index, and would be pleased to hear of any chance discoveries of archaeological material from Brentford and Chiswick or the surrounding area. We can be contacted at 273 High Street (560 3880) or through Phil Philo at Gunnersbury Museum (992 1612).
Finds reported recently include a fine Neolithic or Early Bronze Age (c2000 BC) plano-convex flint knife from Green Lane, Hounslow, now in Kingston Museum, a series of early clay tobacco pipes from Mogden House Allotments, Isleworth and a quantity of early 18th century kiln-furniture including spacer pads and saggars from Ferry Lane, Brentford.